Sunday, November 15, 2009

Lefty


We're pretty sure that Deacon is going to be a lefty. He throws with his left hand and eats with his left hand the majority of the time. I hadn't really noticed it until yesterday when Joel pointed out that he was throwing with his left hand. Then I started thinking back to when he's had a color in his hand and it was always the left one. Then I started paying attention when he ate and sure enough, it was the left hand he favored. I'm not really sure why, but this kind of bothers me. I guess as a Mom, I just want things to be easy for him and I think (albeit wrongly) that it will be harder for him to be a lefty in a right-handed world. Joel thinks it'll be hard to teach him sports because Joel is right-handed and he'll have to switch it around for Deacon. We'll figure it out, I'm sure. There are plenty of lefty's in the world and they seem to manage just fine. My Aunt is left-handed and as she always said, "Lefty's are the only ones in their right mind."
One thing is sure, he's a very smart little boy. He figures things out so fast. I am so amazed at what he can do and I love him so very much!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

KariY said...

A good way to tell (as much as you can at this age) is to give him something that requires manipulation, like legos that can be pulled apart. The dominant hand will be the one that's "doing" and the non-dominant will be the one that's holding.

Anna said...

Yup, he uses the left hand to "do" the Legos. The right hand holds it. I'm pretty sure he's a lefty :)